Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Good Will, Good Buy

Every year, after Christmas, I carefully itemize my want list, allotting value to each item according to function, design and length of desire, then I meticulously interpret the not always so clear value system, arriving ultimately with the most desirable object in my life on which to spend my Christmas money. This year, due to a particularly frugal fall, and perhaps, the lack of a before mentioned list, I had managed to retain all of my birthday money, which, added to a very generous Christmas, had given rise to the hopes of a thrift acquisition of possibly the four most desirable objects in my life.

With this hope swelling in my heart, I raced to the nearby Thrift Store focused on the possibility of cute serving platters, retro mixing bowls or even the elusive storage unit to organize my life. But never did I dream of finding my third most desirable object, and for only a dollar!

And to make my dreams even sweeter, it requires no electricity and is perfectly kid friendly.


In fact, so kid friendly that Peter could hardly contain his excitement to process every edible object in our kitchen, beginning with the cheese for our nachos that evening.



Peter, after two minutes of grating...



After five minutes of grating, trying another angle...



Perhaps it needs the lid, after seven minutes of grating...


Isabelle helping, after ten minutes of grating...




Isabelle has given up, after twelve minutes of grating...



Daniel wondering if we will ever get to eat, after fifteen minutes of grating...


Daniel, wondering "Seriously, how long is this going to take?" After seventeen minutes of grating...


If you too were hoping for a thrifty food processing Christmas list relief, you should check the Thrift Store near us, I think they will have one soon.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Could you use it to grind table food into baby food? Since it doesn't need electricity it may be nice at a restaurant - but it may be too bulky. Not sure.

Jenny Lynn said...

I could handle the bulk, if the functional side was less involved... I think a fork would be worlds more affective!

Mammasita said...

Hey a buck for twenty mintues of entertainment while working on dinner is a buck well spent!

Jenny Lynn said...

Ha, Ha! Agreed!