

1999 Chevrolet "Roomy-Lummy" Lumina became scrap metal Saturday, October 5th, 2008
A silent vigil was held Saturday afternoon in the family's front yard with Sammy of "Sammy's Towing" presiding over the ceremony. Roomy-Lummy will be laid to rest in the junk yard of highest bidding.
Roomy-Lummy was born in 1999 but did not join the Hoelscher family until 2001. He was a good and faithful friend to Tim, carrying him where ever work required until Family Dollar no longer desired his services and he was allowed to remain with the Hoelscher family, now as a faithful escort to Kim. When she no longer required his service, Roomy-Lummy was eager to assist Julia while she was in Amarillo, and even had the privilege of joining Matthew at UD for two years. Fearing the Midwest winters, he chose to remain a Texan, and joined the Ellis family when Matthew moved to IL.
Although he suffered much as he transitioned from family member to family member, never knowing with whom he would ride from year to year, he seldomly complained except to spit water on an unwitting passengers feet with every right turn. Though he lacked the sparkle and appeal of the newer models, Roomy-Lummy was never ashamed of his balding tires, chipped paint and door dings.
Last April Roomy-Lummy narrowly survived an encounter with a tree limb, only to meet his end at the hands of a faulty water pump. The lack of water was simply more than his weathered engine could bare and the stress blew a head gasket. He was never able to recover, nor was the family's pocket book, and he was allowed to die in peace in the family's driveway.
Roomy-Lummy is survived by Honda Odyssey and Mazda 626.
In lieu of flowers, memorials can be sent to the "Preserve the remaining Ellis Vehicles" Fund in the form of checks, gas cards and oil change credits.
12 comments:
OK! That does it! I actually CRIED reading Roomy-Loomy's obit.
I am pretty sure there is a magazine out there that will pay for such writing.
Got go find the tissues
you're too funny. i will observe a moment of silence for Roomy-Loomy.
Rest in pieces Roomy-Lummy, Rest in pieces...
Good riddance!
Kind of sick, because I too am feeling weepy too. He had a good heart, and a broken body! Poor little guy!
Side note I think we get to emotionally involved with our vehicles in this family.
Perhaps we should reconsider the naming of our vehicles?
Poor Pontius had his side mirror hit by a Yukon. It was terrible, I saw and heard it.
Meredith... you said it all.
Rest in Pieces. (I like your humor)
Dad
Hey John Jeep, Holly Honda, Gumby, El Boxo what would we do without giving our cars names? How could Peter and Isabelle learn about teasing if not for our cars? Holly not Hilda Honda has become such a part of their learning and development and I will not take that away from them!
glad you liked my joke dad!
I can do nothing but hang my head in defeat. This, I'll have ya'll know (yes, Texan at heart), is my second attempt at commenting. Thank you for determination, Lord.
I am sorry to hear about Roomy-Lummy. What a touching and amazing story. I now (thank you, Meredith) have a new name for my own special wheeled-friend: what once was "the Silver Steed" is now "Hilda Hyundai" (with the occasional addition of the former attached to the latter, making it a marvelously fun mouthful). As a side note, I'm also converted and will be a faithful reader, contributor, and poster on this here blog. (Heck, you can take the gal out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the gal.)
God bless you and your blessed little gang. And thanks to the wheels that roll along in silent suffering to get us from A to B. Roll on eighteen wheeler, roll on.
P.S. Who knew that little ones' headaches mean sammich time?? I'm learning so much from you wonderful Catholic mothers!!!! Who knew?! :D
P.S.S. I'm also learning that Greek churches can hold Greek festivals. (Ms. Isabelle) Thanks for the invitation, guys. Kiddin. Sarcastic Krista is at it again!
I like how Isabelle is playing with parts of the vacuum cleaner.
oh and I also like how the blog about the car has more comments on it then all of the other blogs about the children!
The really funny part is that most of these "Hoelscher cars" are passed all around the family: the Box, the Accord (which ironically is the only car that doesn't have a name and is the only one that really needs a name, since one can't seem to be a part of the family without owning a Honda). I can't wait to get my hands on the 626!
Post a Comment