Saturday, February 28, 2009

How Many?

Peter has discovered numbers and the magical ability to count as many of them as his little mind can hold. As one would expect of any stubbornly intelligent child, he is determined to count to the highest number possible. Aside from the personal amusement of his father and I at seeing the development of his will in such a definitive way, we have found a wonderful use for this gift of perseverance, guaranteed serenity at mass.

We have found that counting to the mid two hundreds is good for an entire reading, and the four hundreds can pacify for almost the entire liturgy of the Eucharist. And in moments of desperation, a quick, "No way, I don't believe you actually counted that high," with the intense expression of disbelief on your face, is enough of a gauntlet to coast on through to the final blessing.

1 comment:

Jami said...

This may be one of my favorite pictures. I love it!