Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A month ago...

A month ago we delivered our baby boy. The piano is still covered in cards, but all the flowers have wilted and been thrown out by now. I find I don't know what to do with the cards. They have begun to gather dust under them, and behind them, because they don't really belong there, not forever. If only they would droop, and discolor; it is much easier to know what to do when that happens.

I met a woman in the store the other day. She was very nice, and asked me about my children. As I stood there, with a basket full of groceries in a checkout line walled by Tabloids, a song my parents listened to in high school playing in the background, I wanted to tell this stranger that I had another baby. That I had carried him four and half months. That I had held him. That his name was William. But like the cards, that don't belong there forever, I didn't know what to do with these emotions. So I simply said, "Yes, these are my children... Yes, we are extremely blessed."

Perhaps that is why I don't know what to do with these emotions. We are extremely blessed, with four beautiful children, and with family and friends who understand that life begins not when we acknowledge it, but when God gives it. And because of this understanding, we were blessed by so many prayers and so much support in our loss, that we could not be unaware of your love for us. Thank you. Thank you for your prayers, for the meals, for the cards, for the flowers, and especially for helping us acknowledge William's life.


3 comments:

Maggie said...

hugs to you. I know your pain. I hope you find a way to keep William alive in your home. We talk about our Hilary often. Be assured of our prayers. (oh, and I have a card for you too - I just need to mail it :) I'm not too on top of things these days - sorry)

JJ's Mom said...

Prayers are still coming your way. Know that God holds our children just as close to His heart as we hold them to ours. I hope you continue to heal. We'll continue to raise William up in prayer for you...

geegee said...

You are on my mind and in my prayers often. Ask little William to pray for you.