Thursday, August 20, 2009

Small Successes... Revived

After the fourth person in three days called, just to check if any one was sick, or maybe I was a little overwhelmed, or shoot, did we just fall off the side of the planet, I realized we haven't been blogging in a while. In fact, you have all been waiting for the unveiling of our newest one year old's pictures for over a week, and admittedly, I realize a bit of wistfulness and denial could be involved with all this delay. But before I deal with that, I will lay the blame upon all these small successes which have been most successful in keeping me from blogging over the past few weeks.

1. I have implemented a morning exercise routine. This has far less to do with my concern over my appearance or physical well being, and a great deal more to do with the fact that a few weeks ago I was forced to put an unopened jar on the counter, wipe the sweat from my brow and still my exhaustedly shaking arms, defeated. Thankfully, my six year old son was there to open it for me, and sadly, in this there is no exaggeration.

2. I have managed to maintain an unusually high excitement level about the approaching school year, despite the large number of incomplete tasks. The glow in Peter's eye, that flares up any time someone asks when school starts, can not help but out shine all my stresses.

3. When my first little baby began toddling around the house, my husband and I declared that we would never be one of those families whose knees don't function properly from the repeated scramble up and over baby gates, only to arrive at the desired cabinet whose hardware is so entangled with plastic snapping gears, clamps and bands that after a fifteen minute struggle to set the dusting spray free you realize that baby Houdini is in the bathroom playing with the toilet cleaner, on the other side of the gate. No, our house would be free of those contraptions that were equal in their ability to elevate a parents blood pressure and a child's intelligence to master magician. BUT... after pulling Luci out of the kitchen chair four times, and off the table once, all in the course of wiping a single dish dry, we have enjoyed the taste of swallowed pride and the ache from gate hurdling knees.



FaithButton

4 comments:

Gia said...

Sweetheart, that was so witty and cute. What a wonderful writer you are. NOW WHERE ARE THE PICTURES OF MY ADORABLE ONE YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER???

JJ's Mom said...

Welcome back on board with Small Successes! Great list here---we vowed to not have baby gates or cabinet locks too, then found our 9 month old licking the Dawn dish detergent bottle 3 times in one day. Since it's in the same cabinet at the rest of the cleaning chemicals--we gave in....

ViolinMama said...

I'm sorry I'm late reading this. It's been one of those "sick kid" weeks. Thanks for uplifting me with your wonderful words and glimpse into your special family! Blessings!

Elisa said...

I always love reading your small successes. Thank you for the St. Thomas prayer you left at my house by the way. It has been a blessing.

If you want to go walking/running/exercise biking any Monday or Wed between 9-11 at the rec center let me know!